SKATER INFO CENTRE
GETTING STARTED IN SKATING
Just starting out and looking for advice? You're in the right place!
The starting point for children and adults of all ages is our CanSkate Learn-to-Skate program. We offer different types of CanSkate programs geared towards specific ages, abilities, and skating interests.
These programs are offered year round at rinks located throughout Kitchener and Waterloo. They are taught by SkateCanada trained and certified professional coaches, assisted by a fantastic crew of volunteer Program Assistants.
Our Learn-to-Skate programs include:
- Parent & Tot
- Gold Group - CanSkate (Invite Only)
- Teen CanSkate
- Adult CanSkate
- Adaptive CanSkate
If your skater has identified that they would like to learn to skate, but need an individualized or adapted program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make appropriate arrangements
- Which Learn-to-Skate programs is right for me?
This depends in part by your age, and in part by your interests. We have programs for skaters who just want to learn to skate for fun and fitness, those who want to prepare for figure skating, and those looking to improve their power and skills to become stronger hockey/ringette players. Our Learn-to-Skate programs serve all of these needs.
Program Ages Best for Parent & Tot 3-5 General PreCanSakte 3-4 General CanSkate 4-11 General, Figure Skating Teen CanSkate 12-17 General, Figure Skating Adult CanSkate 18+ General, Figure Skating Gold Group (Fast Track- Invite Only) N/A Figure Skating
- Where can I learn more about your programs?
We also offer PowerSkate programs through our Twin City Hockey Skating School.
The starting point for beginners of all ages is CanSkate. Basic skating skills common to all ice sports, including figure skating, are learned there. Next, skaters are introduced to the fundamentals of figure skating in our Group STAR and Jr. Academy Group Figure Skating program.
LEARN-TO-SKATE and POWER SKATING programs are offered year-round, organized into 4 seasons:
- Fall: Sep-Dec
- Winter: Jan-Mar
- Spring: Apr-Jun
- Summer: Jun-Aug
You can register separately for each of these seasons.
FIGURE SKATING programs are offered year-round, organized into 3 seasons:
- Fall/Winter: Sep-Mar
- Spring: Apr-Jun
- Summer: Jul-Aug
RECENT NEWS & EVENTS
- KWSC CELEBRATES NATIONAL COACHES WEEK - SEPTEMBER 16-24 Read...
- CLUB CELEBRATES SELECTION OF TWO JUNIOR ICE DANCE TEAMS FOR ISU JUNIOR GRAND PRIX AND SKATE CANADA NEXTGEN PROGRAM Read...
- KWSC IS THRILLED TO INTRODUCE LASZLO SARKANY AS THE NEW PRESIDENT OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS Read...
- THE KITCHENER WATERLOO SKATING CLUB IS PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP WITH BLUEPRINT NUTRITION Read...
- SKATING SPECIFIC OFF-ICE TRAINING FACILITY, CALLED THE ROTATION ROOM OPENS IN KITCHENER WATERLOO Read...
- CAROLYN MOSS HONOURED WITH KITCHENER SPORTS ASSOCIATION'S 2023 VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR AWARD FOR KITCHENER WATERLOO SKATING CLUB Read...